« Home | What Is Maruja? (post 1) » | Fashion Will Save The World » | Living In Exciting Times » | We Are A Dying Breed! » | Dead Air » | I Lost A Friend (part 2) » | I Lost A Friend (part 1) » | Saints Move In Mysterious Ways » | Introduction: A New Week, A New Plan » 

Wednesday, September 07, 2005


What Is Maruja? (post 2)

My father works at a TV station. When I was a kid, I thought that was the coolest job in the whole world. I mean, how many kids would brag that their dad is a "TV Director" for all the clerks', accountants', and salesmen's children to envy?

Because of Dad, I got 2 TV exposures as a kid, one for a kiddie game show dressed in mint-green overalls with the title "Abakada Barkada" ("ABC Gang") embroidered on the back and another one as a cameo watching a political campaign scene for a defunct TV sitcom. Despite those camera exposures, I was really afraid of seeing myself on TV. I thought I was staring at a freak.

What I did like was the goings-on behind the camera. My fondest memories of my dad was when he took me to the tech booth. There were numerous small TV monitors, all having different camera views. I would always remember him saying, "Camera one to camera two...stand by... and..." He would then snaps his finger, signalling a switch of camera view.

I watched at awe as he commanded an entire studio of people, from the humblest of utility to the biggest celebrities. Telling them what to do, what to say, how to say, how to move, how to adjust. He was like a god above the studio.

I thought that was the coolest job in the whole world. I still think it is. That's why I'm following his footsteps, but this time as a writer.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home