« Home | The De-Blossoming Of Empress Maruja » | Back From Hiatus » | This Blog Was Sent To Space » | The Problem With Too Much Anticipation » | Macanese Cuisine » | The Decision Has Been Made » | The Treasure Hunt For A Blunder » | The Tale Of Two Doors » | Becoming A Butterfly, The Hard Way » | Enter The Chrysalis Phase » 

Friday, December 23, 2005


I Got Stricken With S(T)ARS

Last night, I got a bit doozy. Will explain more.

To cap off Kids TV for 2005, I got into a segment shooting in which we feature the premiere night of "Exodus", the movie our show was promoting for the Metro Manila Film Festival.

After much thought, I decided to let the kid hosts get in the cinema after they were done with their spiels. They were supposed to interview the cast themselves, but I got a bit worried that they might get squished by other media members from giant networks.

Which means that I have to do the interview by myself, with the cameraman.

But there's a catch. Even though I've been exposed in the showbiz environment eversince I was a child, I'm get scared of celebrities. No, I don't freak out and run away. It's just that...I tend to get scared of going near them and having a conversation, especially if I'm meeting them for the first time.

You are so right...I get starstricken.

Who wouldn't? I'm about to interview Bong Revilla Jr., an action star-turned comedian-turned anti-piracy czar-turned senator-turned all-in-one.

So while I was waiting for the cast to walk by the red carpet, I spotted the owner of Enchanted Kingdom theme park (one of the producers of the movie). Call it a training to face my fears of sorts, I asked him about the movie (as indicated in my script). He was obviously happy and proud that the premiere got a high influx of people queueing.

And then, Senator Bong went walking the red carpet, together with child wonder BJ Forbes. The media went scambling for photos and video. After the senator was done with the photojournalists, it was the TV people's turn to ask him questions.

Odd enough, I was the first one to ask him.

"What makes Exodus stand out from the festival's other entries?"

I could see the reporter from ABS-CBN peeking at my ID while Bong was answering my query. I actually felt like an odd-one-out. Looking at the row of microphones placed before the actor, with logos of the big networks and then there's a relatively-unheard of Kids TV (not many people watch at RPN-9, except when there are boxing matches on a Sunday or beauty pageants).

I got a little cocky when I vomitted my second question.

"How proud are you in this movie?"

Senator Bong admitted that he felt proud of his movie, but quite nervous as to how it will fare come Christmas. Three huge fantasy movies are vying for top blockbuster. Aside from Exodus (which I predicted to become number 1, no kidding), Filipinos are anticipating for Mulawin The Movie (which was based on a hit fantasy TV series about a tribe of birdmen), and Enteng Kabisote 2 (a sequel of a spin-off of a fantasy comedy TV series back in the 1990's, Okay Ka Fairy Ko).

I let the other reporters ask their questions. I think my two questions are enough.

In the process I also interviewed some of the cast members who graced the premiere, like reality show host Paolo Bediones, comedian Long Mejia, and sexy actress Aubrey Miles.

But what really got me excited was when I got the chance to interview young star Iya Villania, a VJ and singer by profession. While asking her the same questions I asked the other actors, it was right there when I realized how beautiful she is in person. Goodness, her eyes are heavenly, her lips was glistening, and she just gives a kind and warm smile (making a seeemingly first-time reporter like me at ease).

Flash forward...

I went straight home after watching the movie, and asked random people from the cinema about their thoughts of the movie like the usual "Ang ganda!" (It was beautiful) and "Sulit!" (Worth the money), a common practice here.

I can't help but think of Iya the whole night. That sent me into panic mode.

Oh no, I think I'm a lesbian.

Not good.

***************

THE EMPRESS IS THANKFUL

1) Thank you for reading my blog. Wishing all of my readers, and everyone in my blogroll, the merriest of Christmas. Maligayang Pasko!

2) I was happy that my blog peaked at rank #198 at PinoyTopBlogs.com. Not bad for me... :)

2) I was supposed to submit a draft of my play tonight (the deadline), but so far I got writer's block. I can't even get past the story treatment stage. Have to do something.




12 Comments:

Blogger Manzkee said...

Keep up the good work. Merry Christams!

Sat Dec 24, 02:13:00 AM GMT+8

 
Blogger ribbiticus said...

hello dear empress! thanks for the greeting. you beat me to it! was intending to greet you first. anyhoo, hope you and yours have a very happy christmas. one filled with lots of love, laughter and food, glorious food! :)

p.s. wow! hobnobbing with celebrities! di ka na ma-reach! :)

Sat Dec 24, 04:16:00 AM GMT+8

 
Blogger amiah said...

hello, Happy Holidays, well I think your blossoming into a bisexual or maybe even manly. hehe.

Well, since we are talking about the Senator here, he is doing a great job considering his background. (Family of politicians, family of actors [can I call them thespians, I hope not!], you name it, they probably are it...hehe)

I just don't like public servants jumping from one responsibility to another.

Sat Dec 24, 11:51:00 PM GMT+8

 
Blogger ribbiticus said...

just dropped by to wish you a blessed christmas spent with the ones you love. :)

Sun Dec 25, 04:03:00 AM GMT+8

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanna comment on what you wrote sa pinoy.rickey.org. Erik Santos is gay? SIno yung guy. Is this tur or gawa-gawa mo lang. I'm sorry kasi I'm just shock. If he's gay, bakla din ba si Christian Bautista? Mas feminine naman si Christian keysa kay Erik. Please reply.

Tue Dec 27, 06:46:00 PM GMT+8

 
Blogger Empress Maruja said...

hi anonymous,

People in ABS-CBN are aware that Erik Santos had (past tense) a boyfriend during his stint in Star In A Million. That is according to some ABS-CBN staff members.

I think even the press people are aware of that "open secret". I read a showbiz column telling Rachel Ann Go to go for Mark Bautista since "he is definitely straight".

A colleague of mine knows Christian Bautista personally, and she swears he's not gay.

Wed Dec 28, 05:45:00 PM GMT+8

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know the name of the alleged boyfriend of Erik Santos? Grabe, hindi ko nakita that he is. And about the starstruck guy, is it true? Marky ba yun? Or Chuck? Bakla din ba yun? How do you know these things.

Thu Dec 29, 06:31:00 PM GMT+8

 
Blogger Empress Maruja said...

This is getting off-topic, but well, since I instigated it...

I have no idea what's the name of Erik Santos' ex-boyfriend. Ang sabi lang ng mga taga-ABS, mas guwapo pa raw kay Erik.

You're probably talking about Chuck of Starstruck. Someone in Davao claims to be Chuck's gay boyfriend (and proudly brandishes it on his friendster profile). during a SS acting exercise (as seen on TV), Iwa (another candidate) asked Chuck if he has a gay lover and he supposed to answer ether yes or no.

He said yes. Go figure.

How I got myself exposed in showbiz? I guess it runs in the blood. check out my previous posts to know why.

Thu Dec 29, 10:37:00 PM GMT+8

 
Blogger Marti said...

aooIt sounds like you did a fine job!

Making a list to thank everyone who commented on my blog in 2005 - you did - thank you! List to post later today. Best wishes for 2006!

Sat Dec 31, 11:20:00 PM GMT+8

 
Blogger Onotheo said...

Nice blog!
Happy New Year!

Sun Jan 01, 03:24:00 PM GMT+8

 
Blogger ribbiticus said...

hi! just wanted to wish you all the best for this new year! here's to more of your divalicious posts! :)

Mon Jan 02, 02:12:00 AM GMT+8

 
Blogger Talamasca said...

Hey Empress! Just wanna letcha know that I'm back from hiatus! Hee hee! DO visit me sometimes! Thankies... :-)

Fri Jan 06, 02:09:00 PM GMT+8

 

Post a Comment

<< Home