« Home | 3rd Times A Charm/ Tourism Booster/ Jewel Preview » | Gagged...Fu*k It!/ The First Maruja Hater » | Bryanboy and Borkeback...oops! » | Clark-Away, Jewel-Inspired » | Oh Tagaytay, The Jitters, Calling My Sugar Papa » | Two Announcements: Wowowee and StarStruck » | Weekend Round-up » | La Reina De Sablay/ The Webcam Mishap » | Make It Or Break It/ Bugz, Lucky Bugz » | Good Bye (and Good Riddance?) » 

Tuesday, February 21, 2006


Finally! The Launch Of Maruja Radio!

After so many trials and errors, I have finally re-launched my mp3 player here in my blog. Now, maruja radio features the best Filipino music both mainstream and underground.

First on the playlist is "Playground" by Cardinal Zen. This Filipino chill-out musician used to compose & make downtempo tracks after a long day at the office and consider it as meditation. His free tracks (available at music.downloads.com) are so numbing if you ask me. This guy really has talent. Asked if he wanted to sign for a record label, he said, "Yes, of course! That'd be okay as long as they don't violate my rights." I do wish him the best of luck.


Next on maruja radio is the theme song of a hit fantasy TV series "Etheria." It is the prequel/ sequel of an even bigger TV hit Encantadia." Known ethnic singer Bayang Barrios gave out her haunting, Enya-esque rendition, using lyrics that only the people of Etheria (and its viewers) can understand. You can't help but be enthralled by the music, never mind if you don't understand what the singer is saying.

Another Pinoy underground DJ, Makkina is one of the original raggamuffin & junglehead of the Philippine electronic music scene. He's been patronizing and promoting jungle and drum & bass since 1999. I downloaded his free track "Cold Fusion" out of curiosity. It sound good. I do hope that the efforts of these Filipino DJs get recognized amidst the flood of rock and novelty (popular genres in Las Islas Filipinas).

I know that my last track for this issue of maruja radio may be a bit kitsch, but you gotta admit that this girl has talent. Filipinos remember Yasmien Kurdi as the over-confident runner-up of the first season of celebrity search StarStruck (I didn't even like her at that time). But when she released her debut album, people changed their minds at the instant they heard her tracks. Hmmm...maybe she was right when she insisted that she deserved to win that reality-based contest. Her songs, mostly in English, are cute and pleasing to hear. The title track, In The Name Of Love, became the local theme song of popular Taiwanese series "Frog Prince."


So sit back, relax, have a glass of lemongrass tea and listen to what the Philippine music sounds like. Happy lounging!




5 Comments:

Blogger yuri said...

OMG.. can't believe it.. I like Yasmien's song... kill me now pls.. :)

Tue Feb 21, 05:02:00 PM GMT+8

 
Blogger Kiss My Mike said...

Cool feature!

Wed Feb 22, 12:19:00 AM GMT+8

 
Blogger Empress Maruja said...

YURI -- You know what? That was the same reaction I had when I heard Yasmien's tracks. It's so freakin' likeable!

KISS MY MIKE -- Thanks! Which track among the four do you like best?

Wed Feb 22, 01:58:00 AM GMT+8

 
Blogger Talamasca said...

Congrats on the launch! Finally! Yey! Hehe. Yasmien? I personally don't like her. I find her voice kinda weak. There. And it's a good thing that chill-out, trance and underground music are appreciated by many people nowadays. :-)

Wed Feb 22, 02:43:00 PM GMT+8

 
Blogger Empress Maruja said...

TALAMASCA -- Installing that mp3 player took me two days (plus coffee breaks and sleep) to put up.

CHAS -- It is a cool series. Try looking for some clips on youtube.

Fri Feb 24, 07:16:00 PM GMT+8

 

Post a Comment

<< Home